Monday, January 30, 2012

Smart rabbits still do their homework...

Having managed to survive childhood and even high school, I am finally getting the ropes of adulthood, too.  The further I go along, the more I understand the value of thinking for myself.  Just because people around us think they know what's best does not excuse us from making our own, well-researched decisions.  

To share an important experience I recently had, which may help you in the future, as well, let me just start by saying that we should treasure the advice of older friends in their 40's and 50's. Mine have led me to believe that our two greatest assets are not houses nor cars - they are in fact our mental and physical health.

For me personally mental health is easier and more fun to look after than the physical. I'd much rather play an improv game or do a crossword, for example, than jog for an hour or floss my stubborn teeth. Both are equally important, though. So on my recent trip to the eye doctor I made sure to ask all the right questions, like whether or not my vision had improved, and if the Doc had any tips on proper eye health. To my delight my sight hadn't changed much, but it seemed the technology of the eye contact had. I took home a trial pair of contacts called Air Optix by the manufacturer CIBA, which the Doc said I could sleep in. How convenient, I thought to myself, and like the silly rabbit who thinks he really stole the kiddies' Trix this time, I hopped along my way. 

I wore my new contacts for a breezy month, occasionally sleeping in them, but not every night. They were comfortable, so I called in my order for a few boxes. But when I got there the staff tried to sell me a different brand. I questioned the switch, but they assured me that this brand was of equal quality, and that I could sleep in these, too. Never once was a warning issued of any kind. And so once again, I headed back down the trail. After all, you can trust a doctor and its staff. (Right?)

Back down the rabbit hole I popped in my new contacts. They felt fresh and clean. I dozed off to sleep, dreaming of freshly boiled carrots, lettuce fields, and.. Well, you get the point. But when I awoke, things were a little... fuzzy. 

I noticed clouds in my peepers that had never appeared before. And so, being the certified research nerd that I am, I jumped on the information superhighway. After just a few minutes of scanning through an academic journal and WebMD, still groggy and half-asleep, I stumbled upon an article edited by the FDA. It was discussing infections associated with contacts. And then came the BIG kahuna: overnight wear of soft contact lenses increased the risks of eye infection by 500%.  Suddenly I was bright-eyed and bushy tailed!

How could my doctor not have informed me of this? Being obviously competent, I'm sure she was aware of this risk. Did she assume I already knew? It turned out, she had assumed I knew a lot of things. And so I have come up with a list of 6 things that contact lens users need to be aware of, just in case their doctors are assumptive like mine. Of course more information exists that we lens wearers need to know, but I feel like these are the most commonly skipped items.

6 important things that contact lens users need to know

1. FDA Warning: Even if you are using lenses approved by the FDA as "extended wear," overnight use makes you much more susceptible to eye infection than if you pop them out beforehand. James Saviola, M.D., of the FDA, says this is because "contact lenses stress the cornea by reducing the amount of oxygen to the eye. They can also cause microscopic damage to the surface of the cornea, making it more susceptible to infection."  (See source below)

2. Consequences of infection: One of the worst infections caused by contact lens use is bacterial keratitis, which CAN, if not successfully treated, lead in the worst case to the loss of the eye.

3.  Smokers, males, wearers under 25, and recent beginners in contacts, all have increased risk.

4.  Beware of OTC. Over the counter eye drops have also been found to be risk factors. My doctor recommended Systane ultra, which I find are effective. Make sure you load up on samples while you are still at the clinic. Those little bottles are killer on the wallet.

5.  Watch the water you're exposed to. You shouldn't swim or shower with your contacts in (both of which I have done as I never received proper warnings.)

6. The safest option with least risk: use disposables. Being able to have a fresh pair of soft contact lenses means less chance of infection, less cleaning, and more comfort, especially for people whose eyes naturally produce more protein which leaves deposits on the contact lenses

It's our own responsibility to protect ourselves....

The greater question is that if Dr. Blindsight skipped out on this information, what else are doctors skipping out on? Are they trying to think for us? Maybe my optometrist thought I would choose convenience over risk. But it isn't her job to think for me. Her job is to advise me of my options and their risks, so that I can make my own informed decision. 

I for one have been motivated to rev up my reading engine when I receive health advice, even from someone who is qualified to dispense it. We all should. I also can't help but wish my parents had taught me to do extra homework instead of just trusting someone with a fancy title. One thing is for sure: this little bunny, no matter how silly, will never trade convenience for health. I hope you don't either. 



Sources and Discussion Boards:

http://www.webmd.com/fda/focusing-on-contact-lens-safety?page=1
http://www.lens101.com/air-optix-aqua.html

2 comments:

  1. i neva be trustin a docta bra dey dont know erytang just cuz they gots an edumacacion

    ReplyDelete