Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Experienced Arc-builders Wanted

Does anyone recall the movie Evan Almighty? It was the comedic version of Noah's Arc. God calls a typical American businessman named Evan, played by ingenious Office star Steve Carrell,  to build an arc for a "great flood that cometh."  Naturally, his reaction is nooooooooo way, and he continues on his way to work.

But God has other, no-pressure plans. First, animals start following Evan around everywhere he goes. In pairs, of course. Ducks squawking and mooing cows soon create interoffice static. Then the Noah beard starts to grow. Big and furry, but shaving is to no avail. Within five minutes it's back, hairier than ever. And as much as he tries to run from his calling, he eventually realizes that he and he alone is the man for the job.

I am slowly but surely understanding that God may be calling me, too. Except, I don't particularly like what He is proposing, so I keep sending Him to voicemail.

Let me re-phrase: the thought excites me, yes. The task could have real impact on a lot of people. Someone needs to get up and do it. But not just anyone can. Clearly, God thinks that I am that someone. And yet, I like to act like I'm deaf sometimes. Cuz frankly, I'm spooked.
 
God: "Charisse, dear, it's time to get started."

Me: "What's that, God, I can't quite hear you? I'm busy with research...."

God, laughing, "No problem, dear. I'll be here when you're ready."

Then, something happens, that makes me even MORE angry, even MORE determined to get involved and... fulfill that pesky calling.

My calling, my calling, this nuissance! This total distraction from my brilliant enterprise - my financial security, all my other ideas! Am I supposed to just throw them all away??

So I tuck this important task neatly back into my pile, and go back to something I think is even more relevant. But between this and that, it's little monkey face is still poking out... Making those fun, monkey noises.. I start to mentally itch, much like a dirty monkey would. Ideas start to swirl. Eventually the midnight oil burns out, so I turn into bed.

Still, I can't help but wonder if I'll awake a Bearded Lady.

2 comments:

  1. Before you shave your beard or pluck an eyebrow. You need to remember that the concept of “security” is a product of delusion. We grovel for money that we are to save for that great day of retirement which we may never live to see. However, if you answer your call to action you will accumulate true wealth. The treasures of good character and involvement will await you on the Great Day that you retire to Heaven’s Gate.--PAUL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said. I would much rather have 'true wealth,' Paul, but at the same time, life is a whole lot easier when you have secure finances. I respect that some of us will not live to see retirement, but we can't apply that possibility to our everyday lives. It's unrealistic. What happens if we DO hit 60, and we haven't prepared for it?

    ...What is one to do when one's purpose will render him a pauper?

    ReplyDelete